We’ve been moving into our new house! The past two weeks have been physically exhausting, but great fun. We are finally unpacked, and enjoying having a garden for change – just in time to enjoy this wonderful weather in the UK. The building itself is a 1930s council house, and its true what they say; ‘they don’t make ’em like that any more.’ Once I’ve finished drawing up the house in Archicad I may have to do a blog post to share what I’ve been doing.
Somewhere within the past two weeks I managed to fit in a fun little project for Kirsty (my wife) who had been taking part in the week-long scavenger hunt GISH, where people taking part carry out fun/crazy/ the and it just so happened that one of the tasks was to:
Submit Bonafide architectural drawings (that can’t already be found on the Internet) for a homemade from two shipping containers. Must have a kitchen, bathroom, and windows.
Obviously, with my background and experience I leapt at the opportunity and mocked up a really sketchy design for submission. It was great fun, and something that I’d wanted to look at for a while!
After a quick sketch around and a bit of modelling in Archicad I managed to come up with this:
The main idea was to stack and stagger the two container units so that it created a sheltered area, for planters and even a swing set. The floor plan is fairly bare, with a small kitchen/dining space on the ground floor but with consideration given to how the staircase winds up into the main bedroom space. The bed on the higher floor is extra large to take up the whole width of the container, with views directed out, through folding doors over the balcony area and beyond.
PS Tea and Crumpets was the team name, as some members were from the UK, and others were from the US!